Monday, June 20, 2011

Lake Shack, Part II

First I want to thank everyone for all the sweet comments you have left regarding this little place.......I guess after awhile I have taken it for granted, but you all have kind of reminded me how lucky I am even though it is, well, rather cramped!  I have to admit as much as I love the smallness and coziness of it all I sometimes go a little nuts with it being SO small inside. Then I just walk out and look around and that pretty much brings me back to my senses! So, without further adieu, let's get started on this grand tour, shall we?



I'm going to do my best to give everyone an idea of just what this
tiny little cottage is like on the inside.  Backing up a bit, this place
was originally the guesthouse to the property next door,
which was all built around the 1940's.  It was eventually
 sold as it's own property to an elderly couple (Mrs. Hydrangea) and once
 they passed on it pretty much sat there for years. 



I wish I had digital pictures of it when we took possession, it was CREEPY. 
The inside had this hideous outdoor carpeting on the floor, there were leaks in the roof, horrible light fixtures hung from the ceiling, and the whole place smelled like mildew.



Thank goodness for Mr.Fix it........the guy has the stomach and
determination to do anything regarding home repair,
even going underneath into the crawl space to work on pipes.  He put in hours
on the weekends, making the two hour drive for months getting it
livable.  It's amazing that even such a small place
takes a ton of work, but we didn't do any major
renovations, just a lot of painting (and tossing out that horrid carpet). 
So let's go inside the Seed Shack.......



Going in that one and only door in the middle, you have
 two choices......right or left. Left
takes you into the one bedroom, and right
takes you into the "living" area 
where there is a small kitchen area, an enamelware table,
and a very limited seating area. 



kitchen area, more on that big old beautiful stove in a minute........


love seat


Chair in corner next to love seat (that's our ancient utility box
with the old timey switch fuses)


window over the love seat, nothing but woods


window over the kitchen table looking out at the street (see the
boathouse, the lake is there too)



another view of the grand seating area......



Fishing and flea market decor



This is a neat old piece I bought at a flea market a long time ago;
It was a multi-functional kitchen cabinet-pie safe combination;  The handle on
the green area in the middle pulls down and is an enamelware
surface where women could make things and use it as a sort of
counter.  There is a drawer below that, and storage areas above and below


I just love the little detail on the top part 
I'm guessing the vents are to let the baked
goods cool....



and now my most favorite thing, the 1950's vintage
electric range



This was not original to the house.......no, we got rid of the awful
harvest gold range that was in there;  I had always wanted one of the
big vintage stoves and thought I was not going to ever be
able to find one close enough to consider getting serious about, that
I could afford, that was electric and not gas



The Gods were smiling on me when i went on a local
Craigslist search one day......there was a guy not even
10 miles from me at home who was selling things from
his grandparents estate. And get this, this Westinghouse stove was a
promotional gift from his grandfather's company way back
when it was new.  It had sat in their basement with a cover on it....
It had NEVER been used.  Nope, never.  The burners and the
over racks were cleaner than mine at home. 
We plugged it in after we lugged it up there and it
started right up, nearly heating up the entire house!


So anyway, between the kitchen and the bedroom, there is a small but
adequate bathroom, shower/tub, and sink







Now we come to the private (??) suite, complete with multiple beds,
washer, dryer, and more flea market decor....







The Sunbeam Bread sign is rather large......



I took this old chicken feeder and made it into a
crude lamp, I couldn't resist the North Georgia
reference



We keep towels and sheets in this old pie safe.....
(sorry about the shadow)




Many of my favorite quilts stay here, and in the colder weather
we put them on the beds, they are very warm and cozy!



and more lake references.....





So that's the house, all 450 square feet of it.  I hope
this gives you something of an idea,
if you can just picture yourself going in the front door, turning right,
passing through the bathroom to
 get to the bedroom, and then back to the tiny front
hallway again. One door, 4 big windows, two in
each room, and a smaller window in the bathroom. 
Nothing fancy, all you need to get along




I've got one more post to do, just some pictures of
the outside seating areas near the house and scenery down the street;
There are small waterfalls everywhere, the cottage
water is actually supplied by a
spring up behind the house on the property, and
it makes for a heavenly shower!!



Thank you again for stopping by and taking the tour, 
until next time!!


devon :)




















10 comments:

  1. Devon,
    How sweet is that, just like a little doll house! Love the way you have decorated it! What a fun get away place, especially during these 90 degree days!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to spend a night in one of those three charming beds. I can just imagine telling stories and reminiscing on the day's adventures. I'm sure it's s joy for your family. Your little cottage is as sweet on the inside as it is on the outside. Thank you for sharing it with me.

    Smiles,

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devon...wow....your place is just adorable...i LOVE it...all so charming...i ADORE that CIDER sign and the BUTTER-NUT BREAD....love everything you did...and that setting on the lake......awwwwww...what a DREAM.

    thank you so much for your sweet email and the kind words...

    i am HAPPY to follow and look forward to a continued friendship...

    sending love,
    kary and teddy
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is the first time I have fallen in love with a property. Just wonderful xx I am sure you must have made a million memories within those small rooms!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Devon- if that is not the most charming, adorable lake cottage then I don't know what is!! absolutely wonderful- I can only imagine how fun it is to spend time there!! you have decorated it perfectly- love all of it. that last photo has me melting!! enjoy every bit of it!!
    happy weekend!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a heavenly little home! And that stove! You lucky girl you!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Devon ~ You lucky girl. That is magazine material, I think. There was a cottage featured in some magazine a long time ago. I ripped it out and have always saved it. It was a cottage similar to yours called Tapawingo, I think. Just always loved that kind of lake house charm. Makes me think of the movie "Dirty Dancing" up on one of the lakes in N.C. I think your lake house is a special place. I'm catching up with everyone's post, so I will forward now with your other pictures. Debi

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your BLOG girlie! You made me giggle when I saw your jump in the lake sign this morning....we are SOOO on the same page - check out my version (& I thought I was being so original!)

    http://northerncottage.blogspot.com/2011/05/summer-time-mantel.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time visiting you. Your little lake hose is a perfect get away. Your views of the water and woods are fabulous. We sometimes think more, large is better. You my dear have the BEST and the stove is an absolute jewel. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I assume you go for lots of hikes when your out at the cabin. That most be really fun.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete