Follow me by email!!

Friday, March 9, 2012

White Ironstone Dishes

On one of my many junkin' jaunts a few years back, I came across a mismatched set of this white ironstone china...........



If I recall it was going for a song......so who am I to turn down some more white dishes?!!



It's very plain and simple, with a pretty scalloped detail to the edge.......



There were 10 dinner plates, some salad plates, and two different sizes of a type of berry-dish....



I cannot even begin to tell you how often I use these smaller bowls......they are the perfect size for sides, applesauce, milk for the kitties (yes)......I am constantly reaching for them......



The pattern is a familiar one to me, we had a small platter when I was growing up that I blogged about here....., I kind of blamed this platter as the start of my ironstone addiction.....:)



Ever since then I seem to find stray pieces of this pattern every now and then, it seems to be quite common..



Especially the platters.....I've managed to accumulate a few of those, mainly the smaller sized.......



And one day I found a good sized serving bowl by itself, which I was very glad to have and put to use......



Although they aren't what I would consider delicate, they do show signs of being well-used.....some probably from my doing, as I use them frequently.....but that's OK.....I don't mind chips.......


There are no marks on the backs of the plates or bowls, but the platters do have "USA" imprinted on the bottom......



I have never been able to find out anything about these dishes and I am hoping maybe someone can tell me about them.....since they do show up from time to time I have to wonder, were they a promotional item?  A give-away like they used to do if you bought so many boxes of a certain laundry detergent??



I've inquired at a few places, but so far I don't have a pattern name or any background on them......



I would love it if anyone out there is familiar with them!!!

Thanks to all for visiting the blog today, and here's wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!!

devon :)


20 comments:

  1. I can't help you out with the pattern's name...but I CAN tell you how much I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same as Rebecca...love them!!! Nice photos too! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see these all the time and used to sell every single piece I brought into the shop. I heard that they were some kind of giveaway too. But that's all I know. You have a fantastic collection. I love the cottage simplicity of the pattern. Somebody should get smart and start making them again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I haven't been around for awhile....I owe you a longgggg email....so much is going on.
    Beautiful set---gorgeous, actually.
    Hope all is well... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you lucky girl!!~ They are fabulous!!
    Hope you have a wonderful day.
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you've got quite the collection so far. They are just so pretty when displayed together as a set. I'm jealous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great posting I have read. I like your article...

    busana muslim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Devon,
    your collection of white ironstone dishes is lovely! Getting them for a great price is even better!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking good sweetie! do you wanna follow each other?:X

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have that same pattern only mine don't have usa on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Devin,

    I love those dishes and would like them myself. FYI I just added you to my blog roll.

    Lynnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great posting It’s exactly what I was looking for. I like your article.

    toko busana muslim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Devon!

    Your white ironstone dishes are so pretty! I love the design! I have some dishes that are similar, but not quite the same. :) If you ever find out any more about your dishes you will have to let us know! Now you have me curious... :)

    I hope you are doing well!

    Blessings,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful collection! I have a few of these dishes too. Found some of them in Houston and the rest at an antique shop in McKinney, Texas that has since closed. They told me they were from an old grocery store promo that lasted a few years and was a regional Texas thing - don't know if that's true or not. If I knew where to find more, I'd snatch them up too! They're so perfect. ~M

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! I just found this blog post as I was trying to identify some ironstone platters/bowls I had. These are exactly what I have. I've picked them up at Goodwill and other thrift stores. I was wondering if you had been able to find out any more information about them?

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those dishes are nice but a little to plain. I love plates and dishes with lots of color.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the white ironstone! It's my favorite. I just put a bid on a piece on Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I've just discovered your blog and also discovered a new love for ironstone. I look for them everywhere I go and I find a couple pieces here and there. There is a simple beauty to them! I to am born in 1961, so I think it's cool that you found a mannequin with those numbers on it. I just started blogging and am trying to be more diligent in posting. I'm spending too much time reading everyone else's! Just started following your. Blessings, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is just amazing and gorgeous! I think the signs of usage just add to the beauty. I never tire of white dishes. You can mix anything with them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your ironstone collection, even with the chips, it just shows how well loved they are.
    I'm your newest UK follower.
    Great to meet you.
    Di
    YONKS

    ReplyDelete