Tuesday, January 31, 2012

In the Deep Midwinter...............

                                                                     


                                                                 It's cold here.........




     Everything is brown...........


or brown.......





The branches are stark against the sky......



My Little Boy statue is buried in his leafy wrap...



and the animals are wearing their thickest coats....



I live in what's also known as the "Deep South", in Georgia
below Atlanta, almost in the middle of the state.  We get
a taste of winter this time of year....it does get cold, plants die, 
water freezes.....and the long underwear does get used.  But about
this time of year we see that annual miracle that always takes
me by surprise.....usually after a couple of sunny days of milder weather....









The cheerful yellow daffodil is starting to make it's appearance.....





It's always amazing to me, how these miracles of God know when
it's time to come up through the coldest days of winter to let
us know that everything's working as planned, that spring will eventually come...





And there's something about a daffodil....it's just such
a bright and sunny flower, I don't think you can look at one without smiling.....



I'm wondering how many of us when we were children picked these 
for our teacher on the way to school, or for our mothers....



A few years ago I picked a bundle, rolled them up in a very wet wad
of paper towels, put them in a ziploc bag and sent them to a friend up in
New England.  I just knew that a little bit of natural sunshine would
be appreciated by everyone....and she said they lasted for over a week!!



I love all kinds of flowers.......to me they all are beautiful and
special in their uniqueness, and I surround myself with them in the yard
and garden when the last frost is over.....but there is something about
 the determined daffodil.....that beautiful little soldier that you can depend on
every midwinter in the south, to come up and brighten the landscape just when 
you could use a little color among the browns......



I hope you all will be enjoying your own local daffodils soon wherever you are....
Just another one of Gods gifts to us.....

devon :)

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait for a sight of daffodils here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty post. It is amazing about the daffodils especially with the crazy winter most of the country has had this season. We were in the 70's today in Texas but this time last year we were preparing for record snowfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMmmmmmmm! The scent of spring! Don't you just love that day when you go outside and you can smell the earth thawing out! One of the best days of the year, hands down! Beautiful daffodils! We will be heading out to Georgia this summer... Stone Mountain! andrea@townandprairie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Devon,
    like you, I love it when those first little green sprouts shoot up out of all that brown! It's been pretty warm here, so far haven't seen any yet! So ready for spring even though it's been an unseasonably warm winter here so far. Loved your photos!
    Rebecca
    PS. I have a red kitchen stool also and do love it too! As for the fan thing, as much as I like them, I have managed to resist (it's really hard) and only have one small one that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post, Dev...
    Ahhhh, Spring... we're having an unusually warm winter here in NJ--I think these must be record "warm" temps.
    I'm working on Spring & Summer weddings for my clients and LOVING every minute of going through all the floral choices they have. It makes me FEEL like Spring is right around the corner...but I have a sinking feeling we'll get hit sooner or later with frigid temps and a blizzard lurking behind. :(
    For now I'll just soak up the beauty of your post and "pretend"...
    HUGE HUGS...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a beautiful day here in Oregon today, it was 60 today.It sure makes you feel so much better than rain.I can't wait to see a few lil flowers coming through.~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with the articles that you serve. Give adequate knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful material. I will be back for the more great post. гидра онион

    ReplyDelete